Pork Chops with Pear & Ginger Sauce
In this quick saute, vinegar and sugar are caramelized in the skillet, forming a deep, richly flavored base for the sauce. Ginger adds a spicy note that plays against the mild pork and pear.
- 4 4-ounce boneless pork chops, 1/2 inch thick, trimmed
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 firm, ripe pear, such as Bosc or Anjou, peeled, cored and cut lengthwise into eighths
- 1 1-1/2-inch-long piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into thin julienne strips (1/4 cup)
- 6 scallions, trimmed and sliced into 1/2-inch lengths
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 2 teaspoons water
- Season pork with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork and cook until browned and just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and keep warm. Pour off fat from the pan.
- Add vinegar and sugar to the pan; stir to dissolve the sugar. Cook over medium-high heat until the syrup turns dark amber, 10 to 20 seconds. Pour in wine (stand back, as the caramel may sputter) and bring to a simmer, stirring. Add broth, pears and ginger; bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, turning the pears occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add scallions and cook until the pears are tender, about 2 minutes more. Add the cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring, until lightly thickened. Reduce heat to low and return the pork and any accumulated juices to the pan; turn to coat with the sauce. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 237 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 52 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 2 g fiber; 286 mg sodium; 635 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 635 mg potassium (32% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat