Pork Chops with Orange-Soy Sauce
This dish uses a very traditional French technique: you first brown meat in a skillet, then roast it in the oven. Make sure you use cookware that's oven-safe, preferably cast iron or stainless steel.
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 bone-in pork chops, (1 1/2-1 3/4 pounds), trimmed of fat
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Combine orange juice, soy sauce, garlic and thyme in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Season pork chops with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet, preferably cast-iron, over high heat. Add the pork chops and sear until browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake the chops until just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer the chops to a plate and keep warm.
- Add the reserved orange juice mixture to the pan (take care, the handle will still be hot); cook over high heat until the sauce is reduced by half, 3 to 5 minutes. Return the chops to the skillet; heat through, turning to coat. Serve with the pan sauce.
Per serving: 176 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 47 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 0 g fiber; 321 mg sodium; 447 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Selenium (36% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 2 1/2 lean protein
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient