Pork Chops with Orange-Soy Sauce
This dish uses a very traditional French technique: you first brown meat in a skillet, then roast it in the oven. Make sure you use cookware that's oven-safe, preferably cast iron or stainless steel.
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 bone-in pork chops, (1 1/2-1 3/4 pounds), trimmed of fat
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Combine orange juice, soy sauce, garlic and thyme in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Season pork chops with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet, preferably cast-iron, over high heat. Add the pork chops and sear until browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake the chops until just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer the chops to a plate and keep warm.
- Add the reserved orange juice mixture to the pan (take care, the handle will still be hot); cook over high heat until the sauce is reduced by half, 3 to 5 minutes. Return the chops to the skillet; heat through, turning to coat. Serve with the pan sauce.
Per serving: 176 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 47 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 0 g fiber; 321 mg sodium; 447 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Selenium (36% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 2 1/2 lean protein
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient