Pork Chops with Orange-Soy Sauce
This dish uses a very traditional French technique: you first brown meat in a skillet, then roast it in the oven. Make sure you use cookware that's oven-safe, preferably cast iron or stainless steel.
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 bone-in pork chops, (1 1/2-1 3/4 pounds), trimmed of fat (see Ingredient note)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Combine orange juice, soy sauce, garlic and thyme in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Season pork chops with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet, preferably cast-iron, over high heat. Add the pork chops and sear until browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake the chops until just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer the chops to a plate and keep warm.
- Add the reserved orange juice mixture to the pan (take care, the handle will still be hot); cook over high heat until the sauce is reduced by half, 3 to 5 minutes. Return the chops to the skillet; heat through, turning to coat. Serve with the pan sauce.
Per serving: 176 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 47 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 0 g fiber; 321 mg sodium; 447 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Selenium (36% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 2 1/2 lean protein
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient