Pork Chops with Orange-Soy Sauce
This dish uses a very traditional French technique: you first brown meat in a skillet, then roast it in the oven. Make sure you use cookware that's oven-safe, preferably cast iron or stainless steel.
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 bone-in pork chops, (1 1/2-1 3/4 pounds), trimmed of fat (see Ingredient note)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Combine orange juice, soy sauce, garlic and thyme in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Season pork chops with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet, preferably cast-iron, over high heat. Add the pork chops and sear until browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake the chops until just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer the chops to a plate and keep warm.
- Add the reserved orange juice mixture to the pan (take care, the handle will still be hot); cook over high heat until the sauce is reduced by half, 3 to 5 minutes. Return the chops to the skillet; heat through, turning to coat. Serve with the pan sauce.
Per serving: 176 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 47 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 0 g fiber; 321 mg sodium; 447 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Selenium (36% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 2 1/2 lean protein
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient