Pork Chops with Orange-Soy Sauce
This dish uses a very traditional French technique: you first brown meat in a skillet, then roast it in the oven. Make sure you use cookware that's oven-safe, preferably cast iron or stainless steel.
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 bone-in pork chops, (1 1/2-1 3/4 pounds), trimmed of fat (see Ingredient note)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Combine orange juice, soy sauce, garlic and thyme in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Season pork chops with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet, preferably cast-iron, over high heat. Add the pork chops and sear until browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake the chops until just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer the chops to a plate and keep warm.
- Add the reserved orange juice mixture to the pan (take care, the handle will still be hot); cook over high heat until the sauce is reduced by half, 3 to 5 minutes. Return the chops to the skillet; heat through, turning to coat. Serve with the pan sauce.
Per serving: 176 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 47 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 0 g fiber; 321 mg sodium; 447 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Selenium (36% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 2 1/2 lean protein
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat