Pork Chops with Apples & Thyme
Round out this lovely autumn meal with barley and pureed winter squash (for added convenience, look for frozen squash).
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 4-ounce boneless pork chops, 1/2 inch thick, trimmed of fat
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 tart apple, such as Granny Smith, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup apple cider, or apple juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Mix 2 tablespoons broth and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add chops and cook until browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium-high and add onion to the pan. Cook, stirring often, until it starts to soften and brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add apple and cook, stirring often, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining broth, cider (or juice), mustard, thyme and the cornstarch mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring, until thickened and glossy, about 1 minute. Return the chops to the pan and heat through. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 214 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 1 g fiber; 193 mg sodium; 335 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat