Pork Chops with Apples & Thyme
Round out this lovely autumn meal with barley and pureed winter squash (for added convenience, look for frozen squash).
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 4-ounce boneless pork chops, 1/2 inch thick, trimmed of fat
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 tart apple, such as Granny Smith, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup apple cider, or apple juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Mix 2 tablespoons broth and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add chops and cook until browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium-high and add onion to the pan. Cook, stirring often, until it starts to soften and brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add apple and cook, stirring often, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining broth, cider (or juice), mustard, thyme and the cornstarch mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring, until thickened and glossy, about 1 minute. Return the chops to the pan and heat through. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 214 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 1 g fiber; 193 mg sodium; 335 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat