Pork Chops with Apples & Thyme
Round out this lovely autumn meal with barley and pureed winter squash (for added convenience, look for frozen squash).
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 4-ounce boneless pork chops, 1/2 inch thick, trimmed of fat
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 tart apple, such as Granny Smith, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup apple cider, or apple juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Mix 2 tablespoons broth and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add chops and cook until browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium-high and add onion to the pan. Cook, stirring often, until it starts to soften and brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add apple and cook, stirring often, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining broth, cider (or juice), mustard, thyme and the cornstarch mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring, until thickened and glossy, about 1 minute. Return the chops to the pan and heat through. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 214 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 1 g fiber; 193 mg sodium; 335 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat