Pork Chops with Apples & Thyme
Round out this lovely autumn meal with barley and pureed winter squash (for added convenience, look for frozen squash).
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 4-ounce boneless pork chops, 1/2 inch thick, trimmed of fat
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 tart apple, such as Granny Smith, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup apple cider, or apple juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Mix 2 tablespoons broth and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add chops and cook until browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium-high and add onion to the pan. Cook, stirring often, until it starts to soften and brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add apple and cook, stirring often, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining broth, cider (or juice), mustard, thyme and the cornstarch mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring, until thickened and glossy, about 1 minute. Return the chops to the pan and heat through. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 214 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 1 g fiber; 193 mg sodium; 335 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique