Pork Chops with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
These seared pork chops are topped with a rich and creamy mushroom sauce that gets flavored with fresh herbs.
- 4 bone-in pork chops, 1/2-3/4 inch thick (about 2 pounds), trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup minced shallots
- 8 ounces sliced mixed mushrooms, such as cremini, shiitake & oyster
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs, such as chives, tarragon and/or parsley
- Sprinkle pork chops with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and add 2 pork chops. Cook, turning once, until cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove to a plate and tent with foil. Repeat with another 1 tablespoon oil and the remaining chops.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add shallots and mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently until the mushrooms are browned, 2 to 4 minutes. Add wine and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring up any browned bits, until the liquid is mostly evaporated, 1 to 3 minutes. Stir in half-and-half and herbs; cook until bubbling, about 1 minute more. Serve the chops with the mushroom sauce.
Per serving: 359 calories; 22 g fat (6 g sat, 12 g mono); 75 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 1 g fiber; 363 mg sodium; 643 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (19% daily value), Zinc (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 2012