Pork Chops with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
These seared pork chops are topped with a rich and creamy mushroom sauce that gets flavored with fresh herbs.
- 4 bone-in pork chops, 1/2-3/4 inch thick (about 2 pounds), trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup minced shallots
- 8 ounces sliced mixed mushrooms, such as cremini, shiitake & oyster
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs, such as chives, tarragon and/or parsley
- Sprinkle pork chops with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and add 2 pork chops. Cook, turning once, until cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove to a plate and tent with foil. Repeat with another 1 tablespoon oil and the remaining chops.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add shallots and mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently until the mushrooms are browned, 2 to 4 minutes. Add wine and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring up any browned bits, until the liquid is mostly evaporated, 1 to 3 minutes. Stir in half-and-half and herbs; cook until bubbling, about 1 minute more. Serve the chops with the mushroom sauce.
Per serving: 359 calories; 22 g fat (6 g sat, 12 g mono); 75 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 1 g fiber; 363 mg sodium; 643 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (19% daily value), Zinc (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2012