Pork Chop Suey
From EatingWell: March/April 2010
Chop suey is often made with bamboo shoots and water chestnuts—add them to this recipe if you wish. Serve with: Udon noodles.
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses, preferably blackstrap
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch-thick pieces
- 1 medium onion, slivered
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 cups mung bean sprouts (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- Combine broth, soy sauce, molasses and pepper in a medium bowl. Transfer 2 tablespoons of the mixture to a small bowl; stir in cornstarch until combined. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add pork and cook, stirring frequently, until most of the pink is gone, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, onion, bell pepper, sprouts and ginger and cook for 3 minutes. Pour in the broth mixture and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; add the reserved cornstarch mixture and pork (and any accumulated juice) and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Mung bean sprouts (germinated mung beans), often simply labeled “bean sprouts,” are white with a light yellow tip and are thicker than more common alfalfa sprouts.
Per serving: 280 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 7 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 3 g fiber; 504 mg sodium; 957 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (87% daily value), Potassium (27% dv), Iron (20% dv), Vitamin A (19% dv), Zinc (17% dv), Folate (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2010