Saucy Porcupine Meatballs
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
These meatballs are stuffed with plenty of rice, which, as it cooks, pokes out of the meatballs, making them look like prickly little porcupines. The little meatballs are cooked in a mildly tangy tomato sauce that’s a sure crowd-pleaser.
- 1 28-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 3/4 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds lean (90% or leaner) ground beef
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk tomato sauce, water, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce in a Dutch oven.
- Combine rice, onion, thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add beef; gently mix to combine (do not overmix). Using 1 tablespoon each, make about 40 small meatballs. Add to the sauce, making sure all the meatballs are mostly submerged.
- Cover and bake, gently stirring once or twice, until the rice is tender, 2 to 2 1/4 hours.
Per serving: 322 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 69 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 4 g fiber; 334 mg sodium; 811 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (42% daily value), Vitamin C (33% dv), Iron & Potassium (23% dv), Magnesium (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2012