Saucy Porcupine Meatballs
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
These meatballs are stuffed with plenty of rice, which, as it cooks, pokes out of the meatballs, making them look like prickly little porcupines. The little meatballs are cooked in a mildly tangy tomato sauce that’s a sure crowd-pleaser.
- 1 28-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 3/4 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds lean (90% or leaner) ground beef
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk tomato sauce, water, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce in a Dutch oven.
- Combine rice, onion, thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add beef; gently mix to combine (do not overmix). Using 1 tablespoon each, make about 40 small meatballs. Add to the sauce, making sure all the meatballs are mostly submerged.
- Cover and bake, gently stirring once or twice, until the rice is tender, 2 to 2 1/4 hours.
Per serving: 322 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 69 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 4 g fiber; 334 mg sodium; 811 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (42% daily value), Vitamin C (33% dv), Iron & Potassium (23% dv), Magnesium (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2012