Saucy Porcupine Meatballs
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
These meatballs are stuffed with plenty of rice, which, as it cooks, pokes out of the meatballs, making them look like prickly little porcupines. The little meatballs are cooked in a mildly tangy tomato sauce that’s a sure crowd-pleaser.
- 1 28-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 3/4 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds lean (90% or leaner) ground beef
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk tomato sauce, water, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce in a Dutch oven.
- Combine rice, onion, thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add beef; gently mix to combine (do not overmix). Using 1 tablespoon each, make about 40 small meatballs. Add to the sauce, making sure all the meatballs are mostly submerged.
- Cover and bake, gently stirring once or twice, until the rice is tender, 2 to 2 1/4 hours.
Per serving: 322 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 69 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 4 g fiber; 334 mg sodium; 811 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (42% daily value), Vitamin C (33% dv), Iron & Potassium (23% dv), Magnesium (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2012