Saucy Porcupine Meatballs
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
These meatballs are stuffed with plenty of rice, which, as it cooks, pokes out of the meatballs, making them look like prickly little porcupines. The little meatballs are cooked in a mildly tangy tomato sauce that’s a sure crowd-pleaser.
- 1 28-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 3/4 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds lean (90% or leaner) ground beef
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk tomato sauce, water, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce in a Dutch oven.
- Combine rice, onion, thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add beef; gently mix to combine (do not overmix). Using 1 tablespoon each, make about 40 small meatballs. Add to the sauce, making sure all the meatballs are mostly submerged.
- Cover and bake, gently stirring once or twice, until the rice is tender, 2 to 2 1/4 hours.
Per serving: 322 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 69 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 4 g fiber; 334 mg sodium; 811 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (42% daily value), Vitamin C (33% dv), Iron & Potassium (23% dv), Magnesium (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2012