Poppy & Sesame Seed Straws
From EatingWell: May/June 1993
These crisp poppy-and-sesame-seed nibbles are perfect served with cocktails.
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds, toasted (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted (see Tip)
- 6 sheets phyllo dough, (14x18 inches)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Whisk together egg white, oil and salt in a small bowl. Combine the poppy and sesame seeds in another small bowl.
- Lay a sheet of phyllo on a work surface with a short side toward you. Lightly coat the lower half of the sheet with the egg-white mixture with a pastry brush, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the seed mixture. Fold the upper half over to cover the lower half. Brush the right half of the folded sheet with egg-white mixture, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon seeds and fold the left half over the seeds. Brush the bottom half of the folded sheet with the egg-white mixture, sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon seeds and fold the upper half over. Finally, brush the top with the egg-white mixture and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon seeds. Cut into 10 short strips using a knife or serrated pastry cutter. Using a wide spatula, Transfer the strips to the prepared baking sheets, placing them about 1/2 inch apart. Repeat the procedure with the remaining 5 sheets of phyllo, egg-white mixture and seeds.
- Bake the straws until golden and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 week or freeze for up to 2 months.
- Tip: To toast poppy and sesame seeds: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per piece: 15 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 23 mg sodium; 4 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1993