Poppy & Sesame Seed Straws
From EatingWell: May/June 1993
These crisp poppy-and-sesame-seed nibbles are perfect served with cocktails.
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds, toasted (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted (see Tip)
- 6 sheets phyllo dough, (14x18 inches)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Whisk together egg white, oil and salt in a small bowl. Combine the poppy and sesame seeds in another small bowl.
- Lay a sheet of phyllo on a work surface with a short side toward you. Lightly coat the lower half of the sheet with the egg-white mixture with a pastry brush, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the seed mixture. Fold the upper half over to cover the lower half. Brush the right half of the folded sheet with egg-white mixture, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon seeds and fold the left half over the seeds. Brush the bottom half of the folded sheet with the egg-white mixture, sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon seeds and fold the upper half over. Finally, brush the top with the egg-white mixture and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon seeds. Cut into 10 short strips using a knife or serrated pastry cutter. Using a wide spatula, Transfer the strips to the prepared baking sheets, placing them about 1/2 inch apart. Repeat the procedure with the remaining 5 sheets of phyllo, egg-white mixture and seeds.
- Bake the straws until golden and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 week or freeze for up to 2 months.
- Tip: To toast poppy and sesame seeds: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per piece: 15 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 23 mg sodium; 4 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1993