Poppy & Sesame Seed Straws
From EatingWell: May/June 1993
These crisp poppy-and-sesame-seed nibbles are perfect served with cocktails.
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds, toasted (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted (see Tip)
- 6 sheets phyllo dough, (14x18 inches)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Whisk together egg white, oil and salt in a small bowl. Combine the poppy and sesame seeds in another small bowl.
- Lay a sheet of phyllo on a work surface with a short side toward you. Lightly coat the lower half of the sheet with the egg-white mixture with a pastry brush, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the seed mixture. Fold the upper half over to cover the lower half. Brush the right half of the folded sheet with egg-white mixture, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon seeds and fold the left half over the seeds. Brush the bottom half of the folded sheet with the egg-white mixture, sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon seeds and fold the upper half over. Finally, brush the top with the egg-white mixture and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon seeds. Cut into 10 short strips using a knife or serrated pastry cutter. Using a wide spatula, Transfer the strips to the prepared baking sheets, placing them about 1/2 inch apart. Repeat the procedure with the remaining 5 sheets of phyllo, egg-white mixture and seeds.
- Bake the straws until golden and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 week or freeze for up to 2 months.
- Tip: To toast poppy and sesame seeds: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per piece: 15 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 23 mg sodium; 4 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1993