Poppy Seed Waffles
From EatingWell: March 1998
Poppy seeds aren't just for muffins! Serve with Lemon Curd and fresh fruit for a special weekend brunch.
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- Confectioners' sugar, (optional)
- Preheat waffle iron. Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Toast poppy seeds in a small dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds. Transfer to a mixing bowl and whisk in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Whisk egg whites, egg, yogurt, sugar, oil, vanilla and lemon zest in a medium bowl. Whisk into dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Lightly coat waffle iron with cooking spray. Spoon in batter and cook until waffle is crisp and golden. Transfer to oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter, lightly coating iron with nonstick spray each time, if necessary. Dust the waffles with confectioners’ sugar before serving, if desired.
Per serving: 284 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 1 g fiber; 475 mg sodium; 70 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (23% daily value), Calcium (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, Other
- March 1998