Poppy Seed Waffles
From EatingWell: March 1998
Poppy seeds aren't just for muffins! Serve with Lemon Curd and fresh fruit for a special weekend brunch.
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- Confectioners' sugar, (optional)
- Preheat waffle iron. Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Toast poppy seeds in a small dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds. Transfer to a mixing bowl and whisk in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Whisk egg whites, egg, yogurt, sugar, oil, vanilla and lemon zest in a medium bowl. Whisk into dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Lightly coat waffle iron with cooking spray. Spoon in batter and cook until waffle is crisp and golden. Transfer to oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter, lightly coating iron with nonstick spray each time, if necessary. Dust the waffles with confectioners’ sugar before serving, if desired.
Per serving: 284 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 1 g fiber; 475 mg sodium; 70 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (23% daily value), Calcium (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, Other
- March 1998