Poppy Seed Waffles
From EatingWell: March 1998
Poppy seeds aren't just for muffins! Serve with Lemon Curd and fresh fruit for a special weekend brunch.
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- Confectioners' sugar, (optional)
- Preheat waffle iron. Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Toast poppy seeds in a small dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds. Transfer to a mixing bowl and whisk in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Whisk egg whites, egg, yogurt, sugar, oil, vanilla and lemon zest in a medium bowl. Whisk into dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Lightly coat waffle iron with cooking spray. Spoon in batter and cook until waffle is crisp and golden. Transfer to oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter, lightly coating iron with nonstick spray each time, if necessary. Dust the waffles with confectioners’ sugar before serving, if desired.
Per serving: 284 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 1 g fiber; 475 mg sodium; 70 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (23% daily value), Calcium (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, Other
- March 1998