Poppy Seed Waffles
From EatingWell: March 1998
Poppy seeds aren't just for muffins! Serve with Lemon Curd and fresh fruit for a special weekend brunch.
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- Confectioners' sugar, (optional)
- Preheat waffle iron. Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Toast poppy seeds in a small dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds. Transfer to a mixing bowl and whisk in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Whisk egg whites, egg, yogurt, sugar, oil, vanilla and lemon zest in a medium bowl. Whisk into dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Lightly coat waffle iron with cooking spray. Spoon in batter and cook until waffle is crisp and golden. Transfer to oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter, lightly coating iron with nonstick spray each time, if necessary. Dust the waffles with confectioners’ sugar before serving, if desired.
Per serving: 284 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 1 g fiber; 475 mg sodium; 70 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (23% daily value), Calcium (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, Other
- Ease of Preparation
- March 1998