Poppy Seed Waffles
From EatingWell: March 1998
Poppy seeds aren't just for muffins! Serve with Lemon Curd and fresh fruit for a special weekend brunch.
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- Confectioners' sugar, (optional)
- Preheat waffle iron. Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Toast poppy seeds in a small dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds. Transfer to a mixing bowl and whisk in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Whisk egg whites, egg, yogurt, sugar, oil, vanilla and lemon zest in a medium bowl. Whisk into dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Lightly coat waffle iron with cooking spray. Spoon in batter and cook until waffle is crisp and golden. Transfer to oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter, lightly coating iron with nonstick spray each time, if necessary. Dust the waffles with confectioners’ sugar before serving, if desired.
Per serving: 284 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 1 g fiber; 475 mg sodium; 70 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (23% daily value), Calcium (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, Other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March 1998
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)