Poppy Seed Thumbprints
From EatingWell: December 2005/January 2006
Our Test Kitchen manager and resident master baker, Stacy Fraser, loves this variation on a classic jam thumbprint. Poppy seeds give the cookies extra flair with very little effort. Though you can use any jam, cherry is particularly divine. A new mom, Stacy plans to make these part of a family tradition with her son Sawyer.
- 1 2/3 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup cherry or other fruit preserves
- Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 300°F.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, poppy seeds and salt in a large bowl. Beat butter, oil and sugar in another large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until creamy. Add egg, lemon zest and vanilla; beat to combine. Stir in the dry ingredients with a spoon until just combined.
- Form tablespoonfuls of dough into balls and place on an ungreased baking sheet, spacing the cookies about 2 inches apart. Gently press the tip of your thumb or finger in the center of each cookie. Place 1/2 teaspoon preserves in each indentation.
- Bake the cookies, one batch at a time, until the edges are lightly golden, 28 to 30 minutes. Immediately transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Storage smarts: To extend the life of your baked goods, store them in an airtight container in a single layer or between layers of parchment paper to prevent sticking.
Per cookie: 162 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 41 mg sodium; 7 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1.5 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, bars & cookies
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 2005/January 2006