Poppy Seed Thumbprints
From EatingWell: December 2005/January 2006
Our Test Kitchen manager and resident master baker, Stacy Fraser, loves this variation on a classic jam thumbprint. Poppy seeds give the cookies extra flair with very little effort. Though you can use any jam, cherry is particularly divine. A new mom, Stacy plans to make these part of a family tradition with her son Sawyer.
- 1 2/3 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup cherry or other fruit preserves
- Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 300°F.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, poppy seeds and salt in a large bowl. Beat butter, oil and sugar in another large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until creamy. Add egg, lemon zest and vanilla; beat to combine. Stir in the dry ingredients with a spoon until just combined.
- Form tablespoonfuls of dough into balls and place on an ungreased baking sheet, spacing the cookies about 2 inches apart. Gently press the tip of your thumb or finger in the center of each cookie. Place 1/2 teaspoon preserves in each indentation.
- Bake the cookies, one batch at a time, until the edges are lightly golden, 28 to 30 minutes. Immediately transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Storage smarts: To extend the life of your baked goods, store them in an airtight container in a single layer or between layers of parchment paper to prevent sticking.
Per cookie: 162 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 41 mg sodium; 7 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1.5 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, bars & cookies
- December 2005/January 2006