Poppy Seed-Orange Biscotti
From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Orange zest and poppy seeds make a tasty—and eye-catching—combination in these crunchy biscotti.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange-juice concentrate
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together eggs, egg whites, orange zest and orange-juice concentrate, and add to the dry ingredients; mix well.
- Working on a floured surface, shape the dough into 2 logs, each about 14 inches long and 1 1/2 inches thick. Place the logs on the prepared baking sheet and bake until firm to the touch, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the logs to a rack to cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°.
- Cut the logs diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Stand the slices upright on the baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes. Let cool.
Per biscotti: 44 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 42 mg sodium; 19 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1992