Poppy Seed-Orange Biscotti
From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Orange zest and poppy seeds make a tasty—and eye-catching—combination in these crunchy biscotti.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange-juice concentrate
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together eggs, egg whites, orange zest and orange-juice concentrate, and add to the dry ingredients; mix well.
- Working on a floured surface, shape the dough into 2 logs, each about 14 inches long and 1 1/2 inches thick. Place the logs on the prepared baking sheet and bake until firm to the touch, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the logs to a rack to cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°.
- Cut the logs diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Stand the slices upright on the baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes. Let cool.
Per biscotti: 44 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 42 mg sodium; 19 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- November/December 1992