Poppy Seed-Orange Biscotti
From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Orange zest and poppy seeds make a tasty—and eye-catching—combination in these crunchy biscotti.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange-juice concentrate
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together eggs, egg whites, orange zest and orange-juice concentrate, and add to the dry ingredients; mix well.
- Working on a floured surface, shape the dough into 2 logs, each about 14 inches long and 1 1/2 inches thick. Place the logs on the prepared baking sheet and bake until firm to the touch, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the logs to a rack to cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°.
- Cut the logs diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Stand the slices upright on the baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes. Let cool.
Per biscotti: 44 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 42 mg sodium; 19 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1992