Poppy Seed-Orange Biscotti
From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Orange zest and poppy seeds make a tasty—and eye-catching—combination in these crunchy biscotti.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange-juice concentrate
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together eggs, egg whites, orange zest and orange-juice concentrate, and add to the dry ingredients; mix well.
- Working on a floured surface, shape the dough into 2 logs, each about 14 inches long and 1 1/2 inches thick. Place the logs on the prepared baking sheet and bake until firm to the touch, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the logs to a rack to cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°.
- Cut the logs diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Stand the slices upright on the baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes. Let cool.
Per biscotti: 44 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 42 mg sodium; 19 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
If you’re watching what you eat, you may be trying to eat...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1992