Poppy Seed Doughnuts
From EatingWell: September/October 1996
Sour cream and buttermilk add tang to these poppy seed doughnuts.
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds, toasted (see Tip)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup nonfat sour cream, or nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Thoroughly coat the molds of 2 mini-Bundt pans with cooking spray or oil. Sprinkle molds evenly with 2 tablespoons sugar, shaking out excess. (If you only have one pan, bake the recipe in 2 batches.)
- Whisk flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl to blend. Whisk egg in a large mixing bowl until frothy. Add the remaining 1 1/4 cups sugar, sour cream (or yogurt), buttermilk, oil, lemon zest and vanilla; mix well. Add the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula just until moistened.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of batter into each prepared mold, smoothing the surfaces with a small spoon. Bake until the tops spring back when touched lightly, 10 to 12 minutes. Loosen edges and turn the doughnuts out onto a wire rack to cool. (If baking in 2 batches, cool the pan, clean it, then recoat it with cooking spray or oil and sugar.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 2 mini-Bundt pans
- Tip: To toast poppy seeds: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 225 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 342 mg sodium; 39 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1996