Poppy-Seed Cake with Lemon Curd
From EatingWell: January/February 1999
Just like your favorite morning muffin made into an elegant cake. Unlike that bakery muffin, though, you can help yourself to seconds: each serving has just 1 gram saturated fat.
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Lemon Curd, (recipe follows), optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 6- or 8-cup tube pan with nonstick spray. Sprinkle pan with 2 tablespoons sugar, tapping out excess.
- Whisk flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk egg in another bowl until frothy. Whisk in remaining 1 1/4 cups sugar, buttermilk, oil, lemon zest and vanilla. Gradually add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, whisking until just moistened. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake the cake until top springs back when touched lightly and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes. Immediately loosen edges and invert onto a wire rack. Let cool completely. Serve with Lemon Curd, if desired.
Per serving: 218 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 273 mg sodium; 73 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1999