Poppy-Seed Cake with Lemon Curd
From EatingWell: January/February 1999
Just like your favorite morning muffin made into an elegant cake. Unlike that bakery muffin, though, you can help yourself to seconds: each serving has just 1 gram saturated fat.
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Lemon Curd, (recipe follows), optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 6- or 8-cup tube pan with nonstick spray. Sprinkle pan with 2 tablespoons sugar, tapping out excess.
- Whisk flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk egg in another bowl until frothy. Whisk in remaining 1 1/4 cups sugar, buttermilk, oil, lemon zest and vanilla. Gradually add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, whisking until just moistened. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake the cake until top springs back when touched lightly and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes. Immediately loosen edges and invert onto a wire rack. Let cool completely. Serve with Lemon Curd, if desired.
Per serving: 218 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 273 mg sodium; 73 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1999