Poor Man's Steak (Bistecche dei Poveri)
From EatingWell: January/February 1993
Sweet, fragrant balsamic vinegar cuts the bitterness of the roasted eggplant and enables the health-conscious cook to cut back on the olive oil of the traditional version.
- 2 eggplants, (1 1/2 pounds total), ends trimmed, cut crosswise into 3/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Sprinkle eggplant with salt and drain in a colander for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Lightly coat 2 baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
- Rinse the eggplant under cold water and pat dry. Arrange in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 20 minutes, turn the eggplant over and bake for 5 minutes longer, or until golden brown and tender.
- Stir together oil, vinegar, mint, oregano and garlic in a small bowl. Season the eggplant with pepper and brush tops with the oil mixture. Serve at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Per serving: 52 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 4 g fiber; 779 mg sodium; 271 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- January/February 1993