Poor Man's Steak (Bistecche dei Poveri)
From EatingWell: January/February 1993
Sweet, fragrant balsamic vinegar cuts the bitterness of the roasted eggplant and enables the health-conscious cook to cut back on the olive oil of the traditional version.
- 2 eggplants, (1 1/2 pounds total), ends trimmed, cut crosswise into 3/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Sprinkle eggplant with salt and drain in a colander for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Lightly coat 2 baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
- Rinse the eggplant under cold water and pat dry. Arrange in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 20 minutes, turn the eggplant over and bake for 5 minutes longer, or until golden brown and tender.
- Stir together oil, vinegar, mint, oregano and garlic in a small bowl. Season the eggplant with pepper and brush tops with the oil mixture. Serve at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Per serving: 52 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 4 g fiber; 779 mg sodium; 271 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- January/February 1993