Poor Man's Steak (Bistecche dei Poveri)
From EatingWell: January/February 1993
Sweet, fragrant balsamic vinegar cuts the bitterness of the roasted eggplant and enables the health-conscious cook to cut back on the olive oil of the traditional version.
- 2 eggplants, (1 1/2 pounds total), ends trimmed, cut crosswise into 3/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Sprinkle eggplant with salt and drain in a colander for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Lightly coat 2 baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
- Rinse the eggplant under cold water and pat dry. Arrange in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 20 minutes, turn the eggplant over and bake for 5 minutes longer, or until golden brown and tender.
- Stir together oil, vinegar, mint, oregano and garlic in a small bowl. Season the eggplant with pepper and brush tops with the oil mixture. Serve at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Per serving: 52 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 4 g fiber; 779 mg sodium; 271 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- January/February 1993