Poor Man's Steak (Bistecche dei Poveri)
From EatingWell: January/February 1993
Sweet, fragrant balsamic vinegar cuts the bitterness of the roasted eggplant and enables the health-conscious cook to cut back on the olive oil of the traditional version.
- 2 eggplants, (1 1/2 pounds total), ends trimmed, cut crosswise into 3/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Sprinkle eggplant with salt and drain in a colander for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Lightly coat 2 baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
- Rinse the eggplant under cold water and pat dry. Arrange in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 20 minutes, turn the eggplant over and bake for 5 minutes longer, or until golden brown and tender.
- Stir together oil, vinegar, mint, oregano and garlic in a small bowl. Season the eggplant with pepper and brush tops with the oil mixture. Serve at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Per serving: 52 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 4 g fiber; 779 mg sodium; 271 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- January/February 1993