Pomodoro Pasta with White Beans & Olives
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Capture the flavor of vine-ripened tomatoes with this elegant-yet-quick, fresh tomato sauce. Although it's an uncooked sauce, the beans are heated briefly in the olive oil and garlic to infuse them with flavor.
- 4 ounces whole-wheat pasta shells, tubetti, ziti or rigatoni
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 ripe medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons oil-cured black olives, (see Tips for Two), pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh basil
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add beans and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the beans are just heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add tomatoes, olives, basil and pepper. Stir gently to combine. Divide the pasta between 2 plates and top with the bean mixture and cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Small amounts of olives can be purchased from bulk bins and salad bars.
Per serving: 481 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 75 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 14 g fiber; 906 mg sodium; 816 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Iron (25% dv), Potassium (23% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv).
Exchanges: 5 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell Serves Two