Pomodoro Pasta with White Beans & Olives
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Capture the flavor of vine-ripened tomatoes with this elegant-yet-quick, fresh tomato sauce. Although it's an uncooked sauce, the beans are heated briefly in the olive oil and garlic to infuse them with flavor.
- 4 ounces whole-wheat pasta shells, tubetti, ziti or rigatoni
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 ripe medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons oil-cured black olives, (see Tips for Two), pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh basil
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add beans and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the beans are just heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add tomatoes, olives, basil and pepper. Stir gently to combine. Divide the pasta between 2 plates and top with the bean mixture and cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Small amounts of olives can be purchased from bulk bins and salad bars.
Per serving: 481 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 75 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 14 g fiber; 906 mg sodium; 816 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Iron (25% dv), Potassium (23% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv).
Exchanges: 5 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell Serves Two