Pomodoro Pasta with White Beans & Olives
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Capture the flavor of vine-ripened tomatoes with this elegant-yet-quick, fresh tomato sauce. Although it's an uncooked sauce, the beans are heated briefly in the olive oil and garlic to infuse them with flavor.
- 4 ounces whole-wheat pasta shells, tubetti, ziti or rigatoni
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 ripe medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons oil-cured black olives, (see Tips for Two), pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh basil
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add beans and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the beans are just heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add tomatoes, olives, basil and pepper. Stir gently to combine. Divide the pasta between 2 plates and top with the bean mixture and cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Small amounts of olives can be purchased from bulk bins and salad bars.
Per serving: 481 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 75 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 14 g fiber; 906 mg sodium; 816 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Iron (25% dv), Potassium (23% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv).
Exchanges: 5 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- EatingWell Serves Two
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)