From EatingWell: November/December 1994
Pomegranates are a rich source of potassium. Before they disappear from the markets in January, scoop up a dozen to turn into a colorful, refreshing sorbet (and while you're at it, don't forget to tuck a few extra containers of seeds into the freezer to enjoy throughout the winter).
- 6 pomegranates
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- Cut pomegranates in half crosswise. Gently lift out seeds, section by section, and place in a saucepan. (You should have about 6 cups of seeds.) Set aside.
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove lemon zest in wide strips (be careful to leave the bitter white pith behind), allowing the strips to fall into the saucepan with the pomegranate seeds. Squeeze the lemon and strain the juice into the saucepan. Add sugar and water; bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Cook over medium-low heat until the pomegranate seeds turn pale, about 10 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl, pressing on the seeds to extract as much juice as possible. (Discard solids.) Chill until cold. Pour into the canister of an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. (Alternatively, freeze in a shallow metal cake pan until solid, about 6 hours. Break into chunks and process in a food processor until smooth.)
Per serving: 356 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 93 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 11 mg sodium; 640 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (58% daily value), Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 6 1/2
Exchanges: 3 fruit, 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- November/December 1994
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)