Pomegranate-Glazed Turkey with Roasted Fennel
From EatingWell: November/December 2007
Pair turkey cutlets with roasted fennel and a rich pomegranate pan sauce for a simple yet elegant dish. Garnish with jewel-like fresh pomegranate seeds if available—they are in season from September through January. Turkey scallopini (thinner and smaller than cutlets) will also work in this recipe, but will need to be cooked in batches.
- 4 medium fennel bulbs, cored and thickly sliced
- 5 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, plus 1 sprig
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 4 turkey cutlets, 1/4 inch thick (1 pound)
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss fennel, 3 teaspoons oil, chopped thyme and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast, stirring twice, until tender and golden, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle both sides of turkey with the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turkey and cook until browned, 1 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add pomegranate juice and thyme sprig to the pan; bring to a boil. Boil, stirring often, until reduced to 1/4 cup, 6 to 10 minutes. Discard the thyme. Whisk together broth (or water) and cornstarch; add to the pan and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 15 seconds. Reduce heat to medium, return the turkey and any accumulated juices to the pan, turning to coat with sauce, and cook for 1 minute. To serve, top roasted fennel with turkey and sauce.
Per serving: 287 calories; 7 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 7 g fiber; 513 mg sodium; 1077 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Potassium (31% dv), Iron (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 4 very low fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- New Year's Eve
- November/December 2007