Pomegranate-Glazed Turkey with Roasted Fennel
From EatingWell: November/December 2007
Pair turkey cutlets with roasted fennel and a rich pomegranate pan sauce for a simple yet elegant dish. Garnish with jewel-like fresh pomegranate seeds if available—they are in season from September through January. Turkey scallopini (thinner and smaller than cutlets) will also work in this recipe, but will need to be cooked in batches.
- 4 medium fennel bulbs, cored and thickly sliced
- 5 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, plus 1 sprig
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 4 turkey cutlets, 1/4 inch thick (1 pound)
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss fennel, 3 teaspoons oil, chopped thyme and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast, stirring twice, until tender and golden, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle both sides of turkey with the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turkey and cook until browned, 1 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add pomegranate juice and thyme sprig to the pan; bring to a boil. Boil, stirring often, until reduced to 1/4 cup, 6 to 10 minutes. Discard the thyme. Whisk together broth (or water) and cornstarch; add to the pan and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 15 seconds. Reduce heat to medium, return the turkey and any accumulated juices to the pan, turning to coat with sauce, and cook for 1 minute. To serve, top roasted fennel with turkey and sauce.
Per serving: 287 calories; 7 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 7 g fiber; 513 mg sodium; 1077 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Potassium (31% dv), Iron (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 4 very low fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- New Year's Eve
- November/December 2007