Pomegranate Molasses-Glazed Carrots with Pistachios
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
In this glazed carrot recipe, instead of a traditional sugar glaze, we glaze spiced carrots with a combination of sweet-tart pomegranate molasses and honey. A touch of butter and a sprinkling of pistachios make them a decadent yet simple vegetable side dish for any meal.
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and diagonally sliced (1/4-inch)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped salted pistachios
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- Combine carrots, water, pomegranate molasses, honey, butter, cinnamon and salt in a large skillet. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover and cook until the carrots are just tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring frequently, until the liquid is a syrupy glaze, 6 to 8 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in pistachios and chives. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Keep warm in a 225°F oven for up to 30 minutes.
- Tip: Pomegranate molasses has a bright, tangy flavor. (Don’t confuse it with grenadine syrup, which contains little or no pomegranate juice.) Find it in Middle Eastern markets and some large supermarkets near the vinegar or molasses. To make your own: Simmer 4 cups pomegranate juice, uncovered, in a medium nonreactive saucepan over medium heat until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 45 to 50 minutes. (Do not let the syrup reduce too much or it will darken and become very sticky.) Makes about 1/2 cup. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Per serving: 119 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 5 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 241 mg sodium; 381 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (340% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2013