Pomegranate Molasses-Glazed Carrots with Pistachios
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
In this glazed carrot recipe, instead of a traditional sugar glaze, we glaze spiced carrots with a combination of sweet-tart pomegranate molasses and honey. A touch of butter and a sprinkling of pistachios make them a decadent yet simple vegetable side dish for any meal.
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and diagonally sliced (1/4-inch)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped salted pistachios
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- Combine carrots, water, pomegranate molasses, honey, butter, cinnamon and salt in a large skillet. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover and cook until the carrots are just tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring frequently, until the liquid is a syrupy glaze, 6 to 8 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in pistachios and chives. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Keep warm in a 225°F oven for up to 30 minutes.
- Tip: Pomegranate molasses has a bright, tangy flavor. (Don’t confuse it with grenadine syrup, which contains little or no pomegranate juice.) Find it in Middle Eastern markets and some large supermarkets near the vinegar or molasses. To make your own: Simmer 4 cups pomegranate juice, uncovered, in a medium nonreactive saucepan over medium heat until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 45 to 50 minutes. (Do not let the syrup reduce too much or it will darken and become very sticky.) Makes about 1/2 cup. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Per serving: 119 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 5 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 241 mg sodium; 381 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (340% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2013