Pomegranate Molasses-Glazed Carrots with Pistachios
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
In this glazed carrot recipe, instead of a traditional sugar glaze, we glaze spiced carrots with a combination of sweet-tart pomegranate molasses and honey. A touch of butter and a sprinkling of pistachios make them a decadent yet simple vegetable side dish for any meal.
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and diagonally sliced (1/4-inch)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped salted pistachios
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- Combine carrots, water, pomegranate molasses, honey, butter, cinnamon and salt in a large skillet. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover and cook until the carrots are just tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring frequently, until the liquid is a syrupy glaze, 6 to 8 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in pistachios and chives. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Keep warm in a 225°F oven for up to 30 minutes.
- Tip: Pomegranate molasses has a bright, tangy flavor. (Don’t confuse it with grenadine syrup, which contains little or no pomegranate juice.) Find it in Middle Eastern markets and some large supermarkets near the vinegar or molasses. To make your own: Simmer 4 cups pomegranate juice, uncovered, in a medium nonreactive saucepan over medium heat until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 45 to 50 minutes. (Do not let the syrup reduce too much or it will darken and become very sticky.) Makes about 1/2 cup. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Per serving: 119 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 5 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 241 mg sodium; 381 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (340% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2013