From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Duck breasts may seem too fancy for the average weeknight, but they roast up beautifully and quickly. This preparation, with its luscious ruby-colored sauce, is definitely one that will impress.
- 1 pound boneless duck breast, skin removed (see Note)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, (see Tips for Two)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Sprinkle duck with salt. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the duck and cook until browned on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer the duck to a small baking dish and roast until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 150°F, 8 to 12 minutes for medium, depending on the size of the breast. Transfer to a cutting board; let rest 5 minutes.
- While the duck is roasting, return the pan to medium-high heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add pomegranate juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer; cook until reduced by half, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir broth and cornstarch in a small bowl until the cornstarch dissolves. Add to the pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the sauce is thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. When the duck has finished resting, pour any accumulated juices into the sauce and stir to combine.
- Thinly slice the duck; serve topped with the pomegranate sauce. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Boneless duck breast halves range widely in weight, from about 1/2 to 1 pound, depending on the breed. They can be found in most supermarkets in the poultry or specialty-meat sections.
- Tips for Two: Leftover canned broth keeps for up to 5 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in your freezer. Leftover broths in aseptic packages keep for up to 1 week in the refrigerator. Add to soups, sauces and stews; use for cooking rice and grains; add a little when reheating leftovers to prevent them drying out.
Per serving: 272 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 88 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 0 g fiber; 368 mg sodium; 552 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (30% daily value), Potassium (16% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Poultry, other
- Valentine's Day
- Cooking for 2
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- EatingWell Serves Two
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)