From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Herb-rolled chicken breasts poached in a flavorful broth make an elegant presentation when sliced and served with lime wedges. Expand on the Caribbean theme by serving this dish with rice and Sauteed Plantains.
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat (8 ounces)
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup lime juice, plus lime wedges for garnish
- 1/4 cup dry sherry, (see Note)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- Combine shallot, 1 teaspoon cilantro, 1 teaspoon tarragon, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Divide the mixture evenly and spread along one short end of each breast; roll the chicken up. Secure each roll with kitchen twine by tying one piece horizontally and one piece vertically.
- Combine the remaining 2 teaspoons cilantro, the remaining 2 teaspoons tarragon, the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper, water, lime juice, sherry and crushed red pepper in a medium saucepan. Add the chicken rolls and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and transfer to a cutting board. Let rest 5 minutes. Remove the kitchen string and thinly slice the chicken. Serve with lime wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Kitchen string
- Note: Sherry is a type of fortified wine originally from southern Spain. Don't use the "cooking sherry" sold in many supermarkets—it can be surprisingly high in sodium. Instead, purchase dry sherry that's sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
Per serving: 131 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 0 g fiber; 201 mg sodium; 233 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (28% daily value).
Exchanges: 3 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Cooking for 2
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell Serves Two