From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Herb-rolled chicken breasts poached in a flavorful broth make an elegant presentation when sliced and served with lime wedges. Expand on the Caribbean theme by serving this dish with rice and Sauteed Plantains.
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat (8 ounces)
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup lime juice, plus lime wedges for garnish
- 1/4 cup dry sherry, (see Note)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- Combine shallot, 1 teaspoon cilantro, 1 teaspoon tarragon, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Divide the mixture evenly and spread along one short end of each breast; roll the chicken up. Secure each roll with kitchen twine by tying one piece horizontally and one piece vertically.
- Combine the remaining 2 teaspoons cilantro, the remaining 2 teaspoons tarragon, the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper, water, lime juice, sherry and crushed red pepper in a medium saucepan. Add the chicken rolls and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and transfer to a cutting board. Let rest 5 minutes. Remove the kitchen string and thinly slice the chicken. Serve with lime wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Kitchen string
- Note: Sherry is a type of fortified wine originally from southern Spain. Don't use the "cooking sherry" sold in many supermarkets—it can be surprisingly high in sodium. Instead, purchase dry sherry that's sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
Per serving: 131 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 0 g fiber; 201 mg sodium; 233 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (28% daily value).
Exchanges: 3 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Cooking for 2
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell Serves Two