From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Herb-rolled chicken breasts poached in a flavorful broth make an elegant presentation when sliced and served with lime wedges. Expand on the Caribbean theme by serving this dish with rice and Sauteed Plantains.
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat (8 ounces)
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup lime juice, plus lime wedges for garnish
- 1/4 cup dry sherry, (see Note)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- Combine shallot, 1 teaspoon cilantro, 1 teaspoon tarragon, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Divide the mixture evenly and spread along one short end of each breast; roll the chicken up. Secure each roll with kitchen twine by tying one piece horizontally and one piece vertically.
- Combine the remaining 2 teaspoons cilantro, the remaining 2 teaspoons tarragon, the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper, water, lime juice, sherry and crushed red pepper in a medium saucepan. Add the chicken rolls and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and transfer to a cutting board. Let rest 5 minutes. Remove the kitchen string and thinly slice the chicken. Serve with lime wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Kitchen string
- Note: Sherry is a type of fortified wine originally from southern Spain. Don't use the "cooking sherry" sold in many supermarkets—it can be surprisingly high in sodium. Instead, purchase dry sherry that's sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
Per serving: 131 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 0 g fiber; 201 mg sodium; 233 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (28% daily value).
Exchanges: 3 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Cooking for 2
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell Serves Two