Polenta with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
From EatingWell: October/November 2006
This mushroom sauce has such sophisticated flavor, you won't believe how easy it is to make. We love the smooth, creamy texture and nutty, rich taste of fontina cheese when paired with full-flavored shiitakes. Make it a Meal: Toss steamed broccolini with olive oil, lemon juice and salt to serve alongside.
- 1 16-ounce tube prepared plain polenta, sliced into 8 rounds
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 pound mushrooms, such as white or cremini, sliced
- 2 cups stemmed and sliced shiitake mushrooms, (4 1/2 ounces with stems)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2/3 cup shredded fontina cheese, (see Note)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Arrange the polenta on the prepared baking sheet and bake until crispy on the bottom and heated through, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in mushrooms, salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are softened and most of the liquid has evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Pour in wine; bring to a boil and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Reduce the liquid until the pan is almost dry, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in sour cream and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat, stir in cheese and tarragon. Serve the sauce over the polenta.
Tips & Notes
- Note: If you can't find fontina, substitute another melting cheese, such as Gruyère or Swiss.
Per serving: 254 calories; 13 g fat (6 g sat, 5 g mono); 33 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 2 g fiber; 517 mg sodium; 455 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (24% daily value), calcium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- New Year's Eve
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- October/November 2006