Polenta with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
From EatingWell: October/November 2006
This mushroom sauce has such sophisticated flavor, you won't believe how easy it is to make. We love the smooth, creamy texture and nutty, rich taste of fontina cheese when paired with full-flavored shiitakes. Make it a Meal: Toss steamed broccolini with olive oil, lemon juice and salt to serve alongside.
- 1 16-ounce tube prepared plain polenta, sliced into 8 rounds
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 pound mushrooms, such as white or cremini, sliced
- 2 cups stemmed and sliced shiitake mushrooms, (4 1/2 ounces with stems)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2/3 cup shredded fontina cheese, (see Note)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Arrange the polenta on the prepared baking sheet and bake until crispy on the bottom and heated through, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in mushrooms, salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are softened and most of the liquid has evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Pour in wine; bring to a boil and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Reduce the liquid until the pan is almost dry, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in sour cream and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat, stir in cheese and tarragon. Serve the sauce over the polenta.
Tips & Notes
- Note: If you can't find fontina, substitute another melting cheese, such as Gruyère or Swiss.
Per serving: 254 calories; 13 g fat (6 g sat, 5 g mono); 33 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 2 g fiber; 517 mg sodium; 455 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (24% daily value), calcium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- New Year's Eve
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- October/November 2006