Polenta with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
From EatingWell: October/November 2006
This mushroom sauce has such sophisticated flavor, you won't believe how easy it is to make. We love the smooth, creamy texture and nutty, rich taste of fontina cheese when paired with full-flavored shiitakes. Make it a Meal: Toss steamed broccolini with olive oil, lemon juice and salt to serve alongside.
- 1 16-ounce tube prepared plain polenta, sliced into 8 rounds
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 pound mushrooms, such as white or cremini, sliced
- 2 cups stemmed and sliced shiitake mushrooms, (4 1/2 ounces with stems)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2/3 cup shredded fontina cheese, (see Note)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Arrange the polenta on the prepared baking sheet and bake until crispy on the bottom and heated through, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in mushrooms, salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are softened and most of the liquid has evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Pour in wine; bring to a boil and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Reduce the liquid until the pan is almost dry, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in sour cream and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat, stir in cheese and tarragon. Serve the sauce over the polenta.
Tips & Notes
- Note: If you can't find fontina, substitute another melting cheese, such as Gruyère or Swiss.
Per serving: 254 calories; 13 g fat (6 g sat, 5 g mono); 33 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 2 g fiber; 517 mg sodium; 455 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (24% daily value), calcium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- New Year's Eve
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- October/November 2006