Polenta with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
From EatingWell: October/November 2006
This mushroom sauce has such sophisticated flavor, you won't believe how easy it is to make. We love the smooth, creamy texture and nutty, rich taste of fontina cheese when paired with full-flavored shiitakes. Make it a Meal: Toss steamed broccolini with olive oil, lemon juice and salt to serve alongside.
- 1 16-ounce tube prepared plain polenta, sliced into 8 rounds
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 pound mushrooms, such as white or cremini, sliced
- 2 cups stemmed and sliced shiitake mushrooms, (4 1/2 ounces with stems)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2/3 cup shredded fontina cheese, (see Note)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Arrange the polenta on the prepared baking sheet and bake until crispy on the bottom and heated through, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in mushrooms, salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are softened and most of the liquid has evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Pour in wine; bring to a boil and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Reduce the liquid until the pan is almost dry, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in sour cream and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat, stir in cheese and tarragon. Serve the sauce over the polenta.
Tips & Notes
- Note: If you can't find fontina, substitute another melting cheese, such as Gruyère or Swiss.
Per serving: 254 calories; 13 g fat (6 g sat, 5 g mono); 33 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 2 g fiber; 517 mg sodium; 455 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (24% daily value), calcium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- New Year's Eve
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- October/November 2006