Polenta & Vegetable Bake
This healthful and comforting vegetarian casserole is perfect on a cool night or any time of year when you want to remember clear, brisk October evenings. Make It a Meal: Enjoy with a glass of Zinfandel and for dessert, biscotti dipped in a fresh-brewed cup of coffee.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant, diced
- 1 small zucchini, finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 10 ounces baby spinach
- 1 1/2 cups prepared marinara sauce, preferably lower-sodium
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 14 ounces prepared polenta, sliced lengthwise into 6 thin slices
- 1 1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella, divided
- Preheat oven to 450 degree F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggplant, zucchini, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and just beginning to brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Add water and spinach; cover and cook until wilted, stirring once, about 3 minutes. Stir marinara sauce into the vegetables and heat through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in basil.
- Place polenta slices in a single layer in the prepared baking dish, trimming to fit if necessary. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup cheese, top with the eggplant mixture and sprinkle with the remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Bake until bubbling and the cheese has just melted, 12 to 15 minutes. Let stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 215 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 6 g fiber; 667 mg sodium; 187 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (35% daily value), Calcium & Vitamin C (25% dv), Fiber (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1.5 starch, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- 8 or more