Polenta & Vegetable Bake
This healthful and comforting vegetarian casserole is perfect on a cool night or any time of year when you want to remember clear, brisk October evenings. Make It a Meal: Enjoy with a glass of Zinfandel and for dessert, biscotti dipped in a fresh-brewed cup of coffee.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant, diced
- 1 small zucchini, finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 10 ounces baby spinach
- 1 1/2 cups prepared marinara sauce, preferably lower-sodium
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 14 ounces prepared polenta, sliced lengthwise into 6 thin slices
- 1 1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella, divided
- Preheat oven to 450 degree F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggplant, zucchini, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and just beginning to brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Add water and spinach; cover and cook until wilted, stirring once, about 3 minutes. Stir marinara sauce into the vegetables and heat through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in basil.
- Place polenta slices in a single layer in the prepared baking dish, trimming to fit if necessary. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup cheese, top with the eggplant mixture and sprinkle with the remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Bake until bubbling and the cheese has just melted, 12 to 15 minutes. Let stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 215 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 6 g fiber; 667 mg sodium; 187 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (35% daily value), Calcium & Vitamin C (25% dv), Fiber (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1.5 starch, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- 8 or more