Polenta & Sausage Hash
From EatingWell: November/December 1996
A tasty take on hash combines chunks of prepared polenta, sweet Italian sausage and bell peppers for a lively change.
- 4 ounces sweet Italian sausage, (about 2 small links)
- 1 pound prepared polenta
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese, (3 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Pierce sausage links with a fork and place in a saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a simmer. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool slightly; cut into thin rounds.
- Meanwhile, pat polenta dry and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Stack slices, 4 or 5 at a time, and cut into quarters. Pat slices dry and set aside.
- Cook the sausage slices in a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet, stirring over medium-high heat, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Add 1 teaspoon oil to the pan. Add onions and cook, stirring, until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add peppers, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until tender, about 3 minutes longer. Transfer the vegetables to a plate.
- Wipe out the pan and add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan; tilt to coat the bottom evenly. Add the reserved polenta and cook, stirring occasionally, until nicely browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the reserved vegetables and sausages to the pan and shake the pan over the heat until everything is heated through. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat, sprinkle with cheese and garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 173 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 3 g fiber; 502 mg sodium; 207 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- November/December 1996