Polenta & Sausage Hash
From EatingWell: November/December 1996
A tasty take on hash combines chunks of prepared polenta, sweet Italian sausage and bell peppers for a lively change.
- 4 ounces sweet Italian sausage, (about 2 small links)
- 1 pound prepared polenta
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese, (3 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Pierce sausage links with a fork and place in a saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a simmer. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool slightly; cut into thin rounds.
- Meanwhile, pat polenta dry and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Stack slices, 4 or 5 at a time, and cut into quarters. Pat slices dry and set aside.
- Cook the sausage slices in a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet, stirring over medium-high heat, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Add 1 teaspoon oil to the pan. Add onions and cook, stirring, until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add peppers, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until tender, about 3 minutes longer. Transfer the vegetables to a plate.
- Wipe out the pan and add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan; tilt to coat the bottom evenly. Add the reserved polenta and cook, stirring occasionally, until nicely browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the reserved vegetables and sausages to the pan and shake the pan over the heat until everything is heated through. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat, sprinkle with cheese and garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 173 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 3 g fiber; 502 mg sodium; 207 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- November/December 1996