Polenta & Sausage Hash
From EatingWell: November/December 1996
A tasty take on hash combines chunks of prepared polenta, sweet Italian sausage and bell peppers for a lively change.
- 4 ounces sweet Italian sausage, (about 2 small links)
- 1 pound prepared polenta
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese, (3 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Pierce sausage links with a fork and place in a saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a simmer. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool slightly; cut into thin rounds.
- Meanwhile, pat polenta dry and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Stack slices, 4 or 5 at a time, and cut into quarters. Pat slices dry and set aside.
- Cook the sausage slices in a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet, stirring over medium-high heat, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Add 1 teaspoon oil to the pan. Add onions and cook, stirring, until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add peppers, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until tender, about 3 minutes longer. Transfer the vegetables to a plate.
- Wipe out the pan and add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan; tilt to coat the bottom evenly. Add the reserved polenta and cook, stirring occasionally, until nicely browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the reserved vegetables and sausages to the pan and shake the pan over the heat until everything is heated through. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat, sprinkle with cheese and garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 173 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 3 g fiber; 502 mg sodium; 207 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- November/December 1996