Polenta & Sausage Hash
From EatingWell: November/December 1996
A tasty take on hash combines chunks of prepared polenta, sweet Italian sausage and bell peppers for a lively change.
- 4 ounces sweet Italian sausage, (about 2 small links)
- 1 pound prepared polenta
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese, (3 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Pierce sausage links with a fork and place in a saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a simmer. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool slightly; cut into thin rounds.
- Meanwhile, pat polenta dry and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Stack slices, 4 or 5 at a time, and cut into quarters. Pat slices dry and set aside.
- Cook the sausage slices in a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet, stirring over medium-high heat, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Add 1 teaspoon oil to the pan. Add onions and cook, stirring, until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add peppers, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until tender, about 3 minutes longer. Transfer the vegetables to a plate.
- Wipe out the pan and add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan; tilt to coat the bottom evenly. Add the reserved polenta and cook, stirring occasionally, until nicely browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the reserved vegetables and sausages to the pan and shake the pan over the heat until everything is heated through. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat, sprinkle with cheese and garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 173 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 3 g fiber; 502 mg sodium; 207 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- November/December 1996