From EatingWell: June/July 2006
Delightful with fruit, these crisp golden slices also make a charming partner for a morning caffe latte.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fine cornmeal, or polenta (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons mild-flavored olive oil, or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 325&ordm;F. Coat 2 large baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Whisk flour, sugar, cornmeal (or polenta), baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Whisk eggs, oil and vanilla in another bowl until frothy and well combined. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir with a spoon until a soft dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a well-floured work surface. Divide it in half and shape each half into a log 12 inches long by 2 inches wide. Brush off excess flour and place the logs on one baking sheet.
- Bake the logs on the upper rack until almost firm when pressed on top, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool on the pan for 20 minutes; reduce the oven temperature to 300&ordm;.
- Place the logs on a cutting board and slice diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices using a serrated knife. Divide the biscotti between the 2 baking sheets, standing them up about 1 inch apart.
- Return the biscotti to the oven and bake until lightly colored and dry, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool (the biscotti will crisp as they cool).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Note: Imported varieties of coarsely ground cornmeal may be labeled "polenta"—that's what you need for this recipe. Porridge made from the cornmeal is also called polenta, so it can be confusing.
Per biscotti: 48 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 28 mg sodium; 10 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- June/July 2006