From EatingWell: June/July 2006
Delightful with fruit, these crisp golden slices also make a charming partner for a morning caffe latte.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fine cornmeal, or polenta (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons mild-flavored olive oil, or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 325&ordm;F. Coat 2 large baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Whisk flour, sugar, cornmeal (or polenta), baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Whisk eggs, oil and vanilla in another bowl until frothy and well combined. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir with a spoon until a soft dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a well-floured work surface. Divide it in half and shape each half into a log 12 inches long by 2 inches wide. Brush off excess flour and place the logs on one baking sheet.
- Bake the logs on the upper rack until almost firm when pressed on top, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool on the pan for 20 minutes; reduce the oven temperature to 300&ordm;.
- Place the logs on a cutting board and slice diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices using a serrated knife. Divide the biscotti between the 2 baking sheets, standing them up about 1 inch apart.
- Return the biscotti to the oven and bake until lightly colored and dry, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool (the biscotti will crisp as they cool).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Note: Imported varieties of coarsely ground cornmeal may be labeled "polenta"—that's what you need for this recipe. Porridge made from the cornmeal is also called polenta, so it can be confusing.
Per biscotti: 48 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 28 mg sodium; 10 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- June/July 2006