Pocket Eggs with Soy-Sesame Sauce
From EatingWell: July/August 2007
In Wuhan, this is a common way of cooking eggs, which were hard to come by during the Chinese Cultural Revolution, when food was tightly rationed. Serve warm over rice or noodles.
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced scallion greens
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons black sesame seeds, (see Shopping Tip)
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Combine soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar and scallion in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat canola oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat and swirl to coat. Crack 2 eggs into a small bowl; crack the remaining 2 eggs into a second small bowl.
- Working quickly, pour 2 eggs on one side of the pan and the other 2 on the other side. The egg whites will flow together, forming one large piece.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds, basil and pepper over the eggs. Cook until the egg whites are crispy and brown on the bottom and the yolks are firmly set, about 3 minutes. Keeping them in one piece, flip the eggs using a wide spatula and cook until the whites turn crispy and brown on the other side, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Pour the reserved sauce over the eggs. Simmer for 30 seconds, turning the eggs once to coat both sides with sauce. Serve in wedges, drizzled with the pan sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: Black sesame seeds are slightly more flavorful and aromatic than white sesame seeds. Find them in the Asian-foods section of the supermarket or substitute the white variety if they aren't available.
Per serving: 139 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 212 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 1 g fiber; 338 mg sodium; 123 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 medium fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- July/August 2007