Pocket Eggs with Soy-Sesame Sauce
From EatingWell: July/August 2007
In Wuhan, this is a common way of cooking eggs, which were hard to come by during the Chinese Cultural Revolution, when food was tightly rationed. Serve warm over rice or noodles.
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced scallion greens
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons black sesame seeds, (see Shopping Tip)
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Combine soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar and scallion in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat canola oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat and swirl to coat. Crack 2 eggs into a small bowl; crack the remaining 2 eggs into a second small bowl.
- Working quickly, pour 2 eggs on one side of the pan and the other 2 on the other side. The egg whites will flow together, forming one large piece.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds, basil and pepper over the eggs. Cook until the egg whites are crispy and brown on the bottom and the yolks are firmly set, about 3 minutes. Keeping them in one piece, flip the eggs using a wide spatula and cook until the whites turn crispy and brown on the other side, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Pour the reserved sauce over the eggs. Simmer for 30 seconds, turning the eggs once to coat both sides with sauce. Serve in wedges, drizzled with the pan sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: Black sesame seeds are slightly more flavorful and aromatic than white sesame seeds. Find them in the Asian-foods section of the supermarket or substitute the white variety if they aren't available.
Per serving: 139 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 212 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 1 g fiber; 338 mg sodium; 123 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 medium fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 2007