Pocket Eggs with Soy-Sesame Sauce
From EatingWell: July/August 2007
In Wuhan, this is a common way of cooking eggs, which were hard to come by during the Chinese Cultural Revolution, when food was tightly rationed. Serve warm over rice or noodles.
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced scallion greens
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons black sesame seeds, (see Shopping Tip)
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Combine soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar and scallion in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat canola oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat and swirl to coat. Crack 2 eggs into a small bowl; crack the remaining 2 eggs into a second small bowl.
- Working quickly, pour 2 eggs on one side of the pan and the other 2 on the other side. The egg whites will flow together, forming one large piece.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds, basil and pepper over the eggs. Cook until the egg whites are crispy and brown on the bottom and the yolks are firmly set, about 3 minutes. Keeping them in one piece, flip the eggs using a wide spatula and cook until the whites turn crispy and brown on the other side, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Pour the reserved sauce over the eggs. Simmer for 30 seconds, turning the eggs once to coat both sides with sauce. Serve in wedges, drizzled with the pan sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: Black sesame seeds are slightly more flavorful and aromatic than white sesame seeds. Find them in the Asian-foods section of the supermarket or substitute the white variety if they aren't available.
Per serving: 139 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 212 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 1 g fiber; 338 mg sodium; 123 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 medium fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 2007