Poached Salmon with Creamy Piccata Sauce
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Simple poached salmon is anything but bland when topped with this piquant sauce. Serve with roasted asparagus, sliced fresh tomatoes and some crusty, garlic-rubbed, toasted farm bread.
- 8 ounces center-cut salmon fillet, skinned (see Tip) and cut into 2 portions
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, divided
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons capers, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- Place salmon in a medium skillet. Add 1/4 cup wine and enough water to just cover the salmon. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer, turn the salmon over, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the remaining 1/4 cup wine; boil until slightly reduced, about 1 minute. Stir in lemon juice and capers and cook 1 minute more. Remove from the heat, stir in sour cream and salt. Serve the salmon topped with the sauce and garnished with dill.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Place a salmon fillet on a clean cutting board, skin side down. Starting at the tail end, slip the blade of a long, sharp knife between the fish flesh and the skin, holding the skin down firmly with your other hand. Gently push the blade along at a 30° angle, separating the fillet from the skin without cutting through either.
Per serving: 281 calories; 16 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 73 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 0 g fiber; 306 mg sodium; 486 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (60% daily value), Vitamin C (15% dv), high omega-3s.
Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Valentine's Day
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- EatingWell Serves Two