Poached Salmon with Creamy Piccata Sauce
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Simple poached salmon is anything but bland when topped with this piquant sauce. Serve with roasted asparagus, sliced fresh tomatoes and some crusty, garlic-rubbed, toasted farm bread.
- 8 ounces center-cut salmon fillet, skinned (see Tip) and cut into 2 portions
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, divided
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons capers, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- Place salmon in a medium skillet. Add 1/4 cup wine and enough water to just cover the salmon. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer, turn the salmon over, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the remaining 1/4 cup wine; boil until slightly reduced, about 1 minute. Stir in lemon juice and capers and cook 1 minute more. Remove from the heat, stir in sour cream and salt. Serve the salmon topped with the sauce and garnished with dill.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Place a salmon fillet on a clean cutting board, skin side down. Starting at the tail end, slip the blade of a long, sharp knife between the fish flesh and the skin, holding the skin down firmly with your other hand. Gently push the blade along at a 30° angle, separating the fillet from the skin without cutting through either.
Per serving: 281 calories; 16 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 73 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 0 g fiber; 306 mg sodium; 486 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (60% daily value), Vitamin C (15% dv), high omega-3s.
Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Valentine's Day
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- EatingWell Serves Two