Poached Halibut with Herbed Vinaigrette
Gently simmering mild fish in a simple, fragrant broth—known in French cooking as a court-bouillon—is a wonderful way to impart flavor. Be careful not to overcrowd or overcook the fish, as either will cause it to fall apart.
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1 medium onion, halved
- 1 medium carrot, quartered
- 1 stalk celery, quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, unpeeled, halved
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
Halibut & Vinaigrette
- 4 6-ounce halibut steaks, 1 inch thick, skinned
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped fresh dill, plus sprigs for garnish
- To prepare broth: Combine all broth ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Strain into a large deep skillet, discarding solids.
- To poach halibut & make vinaigrette: Bring broth just to a simmer. Season halibut with salt and pepper on both sides. Add halibut to broth and poach, uncovered, until opaque in the center, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spoon 2 tablespoons of the simmering broth into a small bowl. Add lemon juice, mustard and sour cream. Gradually whisk in oil. Add shallot and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove halibut from poaching liquid and divide among 4 warmed plates. Stir parsley, tarragon, chives and chopped dill into the vinaigrette and spoon over the fish. Garnish with dill sprigs. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the broth (Step 1) for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 4 months.
Per serving: 268 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 55 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 36 g protein; 0 g fiber; 258 mg sodium; 834 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (42% daily value), Magnesium (37% dv).
Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood